First, a huge thank you for all your contributions and support during the Ashes. We really appreciate the time and effort you’ve spared to take part in our discussions, and air your views. The last two months – which have encompassed such emotion and mutual sleep deprivation – have certainly been a bonding experience for us all. We hope you’ve found The Full Toss a useful place to vent some steam and express your hopes and fears.
Which leads us on to the second point. This site is all about the perspective of an English cricket follower – be it the national side, the county game, or club and village cricket. So as we leave the Ashes behind and head towards the 2011calendar proper, we’d like to hear what’s on your mind.
So we invite you to respond to the questionnaire below – eleven questions about the cricketing year ahead, and beyond. You can either enter your answers below (don’t feel you need answer them all), or email Maxie@thefulltoss.com And if there’s anything significant we’ve missed out – feel free to add it in.
Thanks in advance for taking part.
1. International priorities What’s more important – winning the World Cup, or beating Sri Lanka and India in this summer’s test series?
2. The World Cup Can we win it – and if so, how? What are the tactics and who are the right players?
3. Test team selection Is Eoin Morgan an automatic choice to replace Colly, or would you prefer another? Which of Broad, Finn, Bresnan and Onions would you leave out of the bowling attack? And whatever happened to Adil Rashid?
4. Number one We may have annihilated Australia, but are still not quite the complete test side. In which one area would you like to see England raise their game this year?
5. Spectator experience Last summer showed that, outside Ashes years, supporters’ goodwill can’t be taken for granted. How can the experience of watching England in the flesh be improved? Ticket prices, cheaper beer, better scheduling, or more atmosphere?
6. The next generation Name the young player you tip to make a mark during 2011. Who’s the one to watch?
7. County cricket What lies in store for your side in this season’s championship? Could this finally be Somerset’s year? Can Essex bounce back? And will the misery ever end for Derbyshire?
8. Bums on seats How many T20 matches will you bother watching this summer: is the golden goose on her deathbed? Will you go and see any championship cricket at all? Either way – reasons?
9. Our lords and masters Let’s hope the ECB don’t get all complacent now the Ashes have been so spectacularly retained. Which single thing should cricket’s bosses do to improve the game in this country?
10. On the village green Which fads do you expect in club cricket this year? Mock ‘decision review’ arm signals? Mass sprinkler dancing? Or Shane Watson-style run-outs?
11. Grass roots What kind of support would you welcome for your club? Better, cheaper, hirable pitches? Better links to schools? A few quid from the ECB to buy kit?
Thanks again for taking part – and looking forward to reading your answers!