Time now to stop agonising over spot-fixing, draw a line under the turbulent Pakistan tour, and focus on the Ashes. To warm you up, here’s a quick quiz about England in Australia. Have a stab below with your answers – and don’t scroll down to avoid spoilers. First correct entry wins the traditional lifetime subscription to The Full Toss. Good luck!
1. Which England bowler took a hat-trick in the 1998/9 Sydney Ashes test?
2. For half a point each, can you name the four captains who have led England to Ashes series victories in Australia since 1945?
3. At the very start of the 2006/7 Brisbane test, who was the second player to touch the cricket ball?
4. In the 2002/3 Sydney test, which bowler took 7-94 as he bowled England to victory in his final test match appearance?
5. In 1970/1, the abandonment of the third test at Melbourne after three days of rain was the inspiration for which highly significant cricketing innovation?
6. When David ‘Bumble’ Lloyd was struck by a Jeff Thomson delivery in the 1974/5 Ashes, he suffered an unusual breakage…what?
7. The scoreline of the 1920/21 Ashes has been repeated only once since…what was it?
8. “Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?” For a point each: who made the famous remark, who was the ‘bastard’ in question, and during which series?
9. Who made his fourteenth and final test century at Brisbane in 1986/7?
10. In the 2006/7 series, which England player was dubbed ‘The Shermanator’ by Shane Warne?